6.25.2010

Citrus

Finished reading The United States of McSweeney's - Ten years of Accidental classics edited by Nick Hornby & Eli Horowitz... really amazing, powerful, diverse collection of short stories. Highly recommended. And if you haven't heard of McSweeney's, you should get reading:
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/

I. love. this:

'"You're so formal, Jack. You trying to impress me or something? Why you trying to impress me, now? You want to marry my daughter? Is that it? My Nancy? You want to take my Nancy away from her papa? You want to run away with her to someplace better? Like that song from my youth? If. it's. the. last. thing. you ev-er do? You want to be an absconder, Jack? With my daughter? So you bring me grapefruits? Citrus for a daughter? What kind of substitute is that? It's pearls for swine, grapefruits for Nancy. Irrespectively. It's swine for steak and beef for venison. You like venison? I love venison. But I also love deer, Jack. I love to watch deer frolic in the woods. Do you see what I mean? The world's complicated. It's okay, though. I am impressed with your grapefruits. You have a good heart. You're golden. I like you. Just calm down. We're standing in a kitchen. It's air-conditioned. Slouch a little. Have a beer."'

from Hot Pink by Adam Levin

No comments:

Post a Comment