4.13.2010

hiromi hotel, IMA. mid '09

http://hiromihotel.com/works/ima

this is an exhibition i was part of around june/july last year. i recently wrote a statement for the website. check it out. hiromi tango is a dear friend of mine, her art is very open and beautiful.

hiromi in my cubby:

 

the other guest artists (miss helen, kay lawrence, ariel erglis, georgia freebody, helen miller, molly, marisol da silva and yuki nakano) were set up in tents in the space in front of the caravan, i chose to build mine behind it.


being inside hiromi's caravan was very powerful and overwhelming but also very warm and safe



d

Home and Displacement.

The exhibition came at a very poignant time for me; my parents freshly divorced, the loss of my childhood home and whilst I attempted to adjust to and create a positive environment in my two new houses (with two sets of rules, expectations, lenience, atmospheres etc;). I felt extreme powerlessness during this period – decisions were being made for me and the decisions of my family were making a huge impact on my surroundings.
Hiromi invited me to participate in ‘Hiromi Hotel’, enabling me to create a soft, small, inviting space for myself, with her caravan and therefore herself as my support. Using my journals in the exhibition alleviated much of the pressure I was feeling at the time’ sharing myself – my art and my emotions, but asking for nothing in return. This was incredibly liberating for me.
I feel a deep connection with Hiromi and her work. Her open, genuine and loving character has influenced me greatly.

3 comments:

  1. this is beautiful maddie! i hope you're ok
    ps. glad i found another blog to stalk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't understand how poignant ...

    ...i can't think of what to say next. but it's a word that envelops Hiromi's work, and your work and your concept and your history, and it's beautiful but a bit melancholy. Which makes it more relateable.

    You know? That's what's poignant...yeah.

    ReplyDelete